1 (888) 462-3453

A Registered Agent in Montana provides various services, such as accepting formal documents and communications from the MT Secretary of State.

Your corporation must have a Montana Registered Agent at all times. You appoint one when you first incorporate your business. You can also replace your existing agent after formation, provided there is no period during which your business is without a Registered Agent.


Requirements for a Registered Agent in Montana

  • Every corporation, domestic or foreign, must have a Registered Agent with a registered office within the State of Montana at all times.
  • The Registered Agent can be a domestic or foreign (licensed to transact business in the state) artificial legal entity (corporation, LLC, LP or LLP) or a natural person.
  • If the Registered Agent is a company, they must be authorized to conduct business in Montana.
  • If the Registered Agent is a person, they must live in Montana.
  • The Registered Agent must be available in person to sign for any correspondence during regular business hours.
  • The Registered Office must be located in the state of Montana at a street address (a P.O. Box is not acceptable).

The address for your Registered Agent in Montana doesn't need to be the same as your business address. In fact, you can use a Montana virtual mailbox for your business address.

Important: A virtual mailbox is not a replacement for a Registered Agent. They perform two separate functions and per MT corporation law, you are required to have a Registered Agent.

What Montana Registered Agents Do

A Registered Agent’s primary function is to accept official documentation and correspondence, including but not limited to:

  • State and federal government correspondence and notices
  • Service of process notices (e.g., if your corporation is sued or required to appear in court)
  • Correspondence from the MT Secretary of State
  • Tax forms and requests to complete permits, company filings and reports

Having a Registered Agent also allows you to prove to the state that your business exists.

Bizee Provides Free Montana Registered Agent Services for the First Year

Bizee provides complete Montana Registered Agent services for any corporation formed in the state. Better yet, if you form your corporation through Bizee, your Registered Agent is completely free for the first year and only $119 a year after that.

Bizee is authorized to conduct business in Montana and able to legally act as your Registered Agent. Here’s what our Montana Registered Agent services include:

A digital dashboard where you can access, store and retrieve any information we’ve received for your business

An always-available Registered Agent who can receive correspondence, documents and legal proceedings on your corporation's behalf

Email notification whenever we receive documents for your business

Automatic forwarding of all legal correspondence, documentation and information directly to you


Appointing a Registered Agent for Your Corporation

When you're forming a Montana State corporation, you must appoint a Registered Agent at that time. You can change the agent at any time after that. Here’s how.

Assign a Registered Agent When You Form Your Corporation

Your business needs to have a Registered Agent as soon as it’s formed. You can do this two ways:

File Your Articles of Incorporation with the MT Secretary of State (SOS)

When you create your business, you must include your Registered Agent's information in your Articles of Incorporation.

Get a Free Registered Agent When You Incorporate with Bizee

If you form your business through us, you’ll get our Registered Agent service free for one year. We’ll use the information you provide to complete and file your Articles of Incorporation for you.

Assign a New Registered Agent After Incorporation

You can also assign someone new as your Registered Agent in Montana after you’ve incorporated. There are a couple of ways to do this.

Choose a New Registered Agent Service and File a Form with the MT Secretary of State (Sec State)

Once you’ve chosen a new Registered Agent, you can access the information and make the change online by logging into your ePass Montana account. Once you’ve updated the information, it will be automatically updated with the MT Secretary of State. There is no fee for this service.

Sign up for Bizee’s Registered Agent Service and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf

When you use our Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect the pertinent information about your business, complete the form and update the MT Sec State on your behalf. We’ll notify you when we officially become your Registered Agent.

What Happens If You Don’t Have a Registered Agent?

If you don’t assign or provide a Registered Agent's details to the Secretary of State, you may be subject to certain ramifications, including but not limited to:

  • Getting sued or served and not knowing about it. You could lose to a default judgment in your absence if your corporation is sued and you don’t respond.
  • Losing your status as a corporation in the state. A Registered Agent is evidence to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business entity protections and your corporation may be dissolved.
  • Falling out of good standing with the MT Sec State. The state may revoke your right to do business if you don’t respond to certain correspondence (such as a request for your annual report).

Acting as Your Own Registered Agent

You may elect to be the Registered Agent for your Montana corporation if you have a business office in the state. There can be some drawbacks to this approach:

  • The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Montana. If you’re forming a corporation outside the state, you’ll need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
  • Someone must always be present during business hours at the Montana address to sign for important documents.
  • The Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the MT Secretary of State website. If you prefer to keep this information private, you should use a Registered Agent service.
  • If you change your business address or move out of state, you need to file additional documentation with the Secretary of State for the new address. This won't be necessary if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.

Other Useful Resources

FAQs About Montana Registered Agents

Do I Need to Secure a Registered Agent in Montana?

Yes. All business entities are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the MT Sec State. You'll find more information above.

When Do I Need to Assign a Registered Agent in Montana?

You must assign a Registered Agent when you form your business with the Secretary of State. You can change your agent afterward by updating the correct information. If you form your business through Bizee, we’ll file all the necessary updates on your behalf. You'll find more information above.

Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in Montana?

Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above.

Does the Registered Agent for My Montana-Based Corporation Need to Have an Address in Montana?

Yes. And if you use a company as your Registered Agent, that company must be legally able to conduct business in the state. You'll find more information above.

Your Business with Bizee

No contracts. No surprises.

Only $0 + state fee to launch your business.

Start Now