1 (888) 462-3453

A Statutory Agent in Arizona provides various services, such as accepting formal documents, correspondence and communications from the AZ Corporation Commission.

Your corporation must have Arizona Statutory Agent services at all times. You appoint one when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing Statutory Agent after formation, provided there is no period during which your business is without an agent.


Requirements for a Statutory Agent in Arizona

  • Every corporation, domestic or foreign, must have a Statutory Agent with a registered office within the State of Arizona at all times.
  • The Statutory Agent can be a domestic or foreign (licensed to transact business in the state) artificial legal entity (corporation, LLC, LP or LLP) or a natural person.
  • If the Statutory Agent is a company, they must be authorized to conduct business in Arizona.
  • If the Statutory Agent is a person, they must live in Arizona.
  • The Statutory Agent must be available in person to sign for any correspondence during regular business hours.
  • The Statutory Office must be located in the state of Arizona at a street address (a P.O. Box is not acceptable).

The address for your Statutory Agent in Arizona doesn't need to be the same as your business address. In fact, you can use an Arizona virtual mailbox for your business address.

Important: A virtual mailbox is not a replacement for a Statutory Agent. They perform two separate functions and per AZ corporation law, you are required to have a Statutory Agent.

What Arizona Statutory Agents Do

A Statutory Agent’s primary function is to accept official correspondence and documentation, including but not limited to:

  • State and federal government correspondence and notices
  • Service of process notices (e.g., if your corporation is sued or required to appear in court)
  • Correspondence from the AZ Corporation Commission
  • Tax forms and requests to complete permits, company filings and reports

Having a Statutory Agent also allows you to prove to the state that your business exists.

Bizee Provides Free Arizona Statutory Agent Services for the First Year

Bizee provides complete Arizona Statutory Agent services for any corporation formed within the state. Even better, if you form your corporation through Bizee, your Statutory Agent is completely free for the first year and only $119 a year after that.

Bizee is authorized to conduct business in Arizona and able to legally act as your Statutory Agent. Here’s what our Arizona Statutory Agent services include:

An always-available Statutory Agent who can receive correspondence, documents and legal proceedings on your corporation's behalf

Email notification whenever we receive documents for your business

A digital dashboard where you can access, store and retrieve any information we’ve received for your business

Automatic forwarding of all legal correspondence, documentation and information directly to you


Appointing a Statutory Agent for Your Corporation

When you're forming an Arizona State corporation, you must appoint a Statutory Agent at that time. You can change the agent at any time after that. Here’s how.

Assign a Statutory Agent When You Form Your Corporation

Your business needs to have a Statutory Agent as soon as it’s formed. You can do this two ways:

File Your Articles of Incorporation with the AZ Corporation Commission

When you create your business, you must include your Statutory Agent's information in your Articles of Incorporation, and your Statutory Agent must formally accept the position.

Get a Free Statutory Agent When You Incorporate with Bizee

If you form your business through us, you’ll get our Statutory Agent service free for one year. We’ll use the information you provide to complete and file your Articles of Incorporation for you.

Assign a New Statutory Agent After Incorporation

You can also assign someone else as your Statutory Agent in Arizona after you’ve incorporated. There are a couple of ways to do this.

Choose a New Statutory Agent Service and File a Form with the AZ Corporation Commission

Once you’ve chosen a new Statutory Agent, you can file a Statement of Change via the Arizona Corporation Commission's online portal. This service is free.

Sign up for Bizee’s Statutory Agent Service and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf

When you use our Statutory Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect the applicable information about your business, complete the form and send it to the AZ Corporation Commission on your behalf. We’ll notify you when we officially become your Statutory Agent.

AZ Statutory Agent Search

In some situations, you may need to know the name of the Statutory Agent that represents other AZ corporations. You'll find this information in the state's business database.

If you can’t find the Statutory Agent information there, you can request it from the Arizona Corporation Commission.

What Happens If You Don’t Have a Statutory Agent?

If you don’t assign or provide a Statutory Agent's details to the Arizona Corporation Commission, you may be subject to certain ramifications, including but not limited to:

  • Getting sued or served and not knowing about it. You could lose to a default judgment in your absence if your corporation is sued and you don’t respond.
  • Losing your status as a corporation in the state. A Statutory Agent is evidence to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business entity protections and your corporation may be dissolved.
  • Falling out of good standing with the ACC. The state may revoke your right to do business if you don’t respond to certain correspondence (such as a request for your annual report).

Acting as Your Own Statutory Agent

You can be the Statutory Agent for your Arizona corporation if you have a business office in the state. There can be some drawbacks to this approach:

  • Someone must always be available during business hours at the Arizona address to sign for important documents.
  • The Statutory Agent must have a physical street address in Arizona. If you’re forming a corporation outside the state, you’ll need to use an in-state Statutory Agent.
  • The Statutory Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the AZ Corporation Commission's website. If you prefer to keep your personal information private, you should use a Statutory Agent service.
  • If you change your business address or move out of state, you need to file additional documentation with the Corporation Commission for the new address. This won't be necessary if you use a Statutory Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.

Other Useful Resources

FAQs About Arizona Statutory Agents

Do I Need to Secure a Statutory Agent in Arizona?

Yes. All business entities are required to have a service of process agent (Statutory Agent). This is mandated by the Arizona ACC. You'll find more information above.

When Do I Need to Assign a Statutory Agent in Arizona?

You must assign a Statutory Agent when you form your business with the Arizona Corporation Commission. You can change your agent afterward by filing the correct form. If you form your business through Bizee, we’ll file all the necessary forms on your behalf. You'll find more information above.

Can I Be My Own Statutory Agent in Arizona?

Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above.

Does the Statutory Agent for My Arizona-Based Corporation Need to Have an Address in Arizona?

Yes. And if you use a company as your Statutory Agent, that company must be legally able to conduct business in the state. You'll find more information above.

Your Business with Bizee

No Contracts. No Surprises. Only $0 + State Fee to Launch Your Business.

Start Now