Skip to content

Kansas LLC Filing Requirements and Fees

As a business owner, you’ll be required to pay certain fees and fulfill several filing requirements, depending on the specifics of your Kansas LLC.

Incorporate today for $0 + KS state fee.

Starting an LLC in Kansas? Let Bizee do all the paperwork for you for free.

Enterprising Woman with technical skills

How Much Does It Cost to Start an LLC in Kansas?

Legal business registration — and making sure your business is in compliance — involves some necessary expenses. Some of these costs are payable to the Kansas Secretary of State, while others are due to additional state entities or the federal government. Here are some of the most common requirements and fees.

Please note that Kansas business license and permit fees may need to be paid when you first form your business, on an ongoing schedule or on an ad hoc basis. Find more details below.

Initial Kansas LLC Fees

You’ll need to file as an LLC with the Kansas Secretary of State and pay a filing fee when you first formally form your business. Here are the current Kansas LLC fees and filing times:

State Fee


State Filling Time

3 Weeks

Expedited Filing Time

2 Business Days

When you form your LLC with us, Bizee will charge you this fee and forward it to the Kansas Secretary of State when we file your formation paperwork.

When you form your LLC with us, Bizee will charge you this fee and forward it to the Kansas Secretary of State when we file your formation paperwork.

Form Your LLC Through Bizee Today

Kansas Allows You to Form Your LLC More Quickly by Paying an Expedited Fee

View Expedited Fees for Kansas

Employer Identification Number

Every LLC in the U.S. should obtain a unique Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service. You'll use it when you open a business bank account, file taxes and pay employees. It's available at no cost from the IRS, or have Bizee obtain one for you.

Foreign LLCs

When you want to do business in a state other than the one where your business is based, you must create a foreign LLC.

Kansas Foreign LLC Registration

Foreign companies are those which are formed in another state or country. In order to transact business in Kansas these entities must file an Application for Registration with the Kansas Secretary of State for a Foreign LLC.

The registration must be accompanied by a certificate of good standing or a certificate of existence from the domestic state of formation. Register your out-of-state foreign company by filing your Application with the Secretary of State. The filing fee for a Kansas Foreign LLC is $165. The state may have additional requirements so contact the Kansas Secretary of State for more information.

Foreign Qualification to Operate in Another State

If you plan to expand your Kansas LLC into another state, you’ll first need Foreign Qualification or a Certificate of Authority or Compliance from that state. This is necessary if you'll have a physical presence, employees or banking in that state.

This process will likely require you to complete an application and pay a filing fee. Each state typically has its own requirements, so you’ll want to contact the state government entity that administers business (usually the Secretary of State) for specific instructions.

If you need assistance, Bizee provides complete Foreign Qualification service for all states.

Annual Report Requirements

Most states — including Kansas — require businesses to file an annual (or other periodic) report with the Secretary of State. For the state of Kansas, the Secretary of State requires an annual report to be filed once every year. When you file your annual report, you’ll need to pay a filing fee of $50. Here are the Kansas annual report filing requirements:

Annual Report



Due Date

Calendar Year: April 15Finansal Year: 15th day of 4th month after close of tax year.

Filing Fee


*$50 via online or $55 via mail/in person

Bizee Can Also Complete and File Your Kansas Annual Report on Your Behalf

Bizee's Kansas Annual Report Filing Service
Annual Report

Kansas Business License and Permit Requirements

As a business owner, it’s your responsibility to make sure you have the proper state, federal or local business licenses to operate your Kansas LLC. Some of the associated fees only need to be paid once, while others are ongoing charges.

Permits and licenses vary based on:

  1. The industry your LLC operates in (e.g., restaurants will need health permits)
  2. The location of your LLC (state, county or city) (e.g., a license to conduct business from Topeka)
  3. The type of business you run (e.g., healthcare providers must meet HIPAA requirements)

Running your business without the required licenses may expose you to risks and fines from federal, state and local governments.

You can research these permits and licenses yourself, or use Bizee’s Business License Research package, which includes:

  • A complete report on all the licenses, permits and tax registrations your LLC will need
  • The applications you'll need to file with the local, state and federal licensing authorities

Operating Agreements

The state of Kansas does not require businesses to have an LLC Operating Agreement in place.

An Operating Agreement is a document that covers the rights and duties of pertinent members, how the business will be run, how managers and members are chosen and several other key areas. It's usually filed with your Articles of Organization at the time of your formal business formation.

This document can be extremely helpful in making sure you’re organized and prepared for any future events that may affect your business.

Bizee Can Draft a General Operating Agreement Template When You Form Your Kansas Business.

If you have any unique requirements, you can make the necessary changes to accommodate them.

Learn About Operating Agreements
Operating Agreement

Other Potential Kansas LLC Fees or Requirements

It is normal for your business to pay and meet several other fees and requirements during the life of your LLC. These ad hoc fees will only be payable in specific circumstances, as listed below.

Obtaining a Trade Name or DBA

If you wish to establish a Kansas DBA, you should check with your local area or county to see if DBA registration is available. If it is available, you can expect to pay a fee associated with the filing process.

Bizee Can File Your Trade Name or DBA Forms on Your Behalf

Bizee’s DBA Service
Changing the Resident Agent

Your LLC needs a Kansas Resident Agent, which you must appoint when you file your Articles of Organization. You can also switch to a new Resident Agent later by filing a Resident Agent Amendment with the Kansas SOS for a fee of $30.

Have Bizee Serve as Your Resident Agent.

It’s free for the first year if you form your LLC with us and $119 a year after.

Bizee’s Resident Agent Service
Registered Agent
Reserving a Name for Your LLC

If you don’t want to form your LLC right away, you can reserve a business name for 120 days with the Kansas Secretary of State by filing a Temporary Reservation of Business Entity Name form and paying a filing fee of $30. First, perform a Kansas business search and learn about business name rules to ensure you choose a name that meets state requirements.

Amending Certain Facts About Your LLC

Your business formation documents state certain facts about your Kansas business at the time it's formed. Over time, these facts may change. If they do, you'll need to file a Certificate of Amendment with the Kansas SOS for a filing fee of $35. You can do this yourself or have Bizee file the amendments on your behalf.

You may want to file a Certificate of Amendment when you:

  • Add, remove or change an LLC member or manager
  • Alter the stated business activities of your LLC
  • Change the business address of your LLC
Getting a Kansas Certificate of Compliance

Some organizations will request that you prove your LLC’s compliance with laws and tax requirements. Most states refer to this as a Certificate of Compliance or Existence - Kansas calls it a Certificate of Good Standing. If you need to prove you have met your commitments, you’ll need a Certificate of Good Standing from the Kansas Secretary of State. You can request a Certificate of Good Standing from the SOS and pay a fee of $10.

Bizee Can Obtain a Kansas Certificate of Compliance (or Good Standing) on Your Behalf

Bizee’s Certificate of Good Standing Service
Certificate of Good Standing

The fees listed above detail many of the charges a standard LLC will be required to pay in Kansas. In some unusual circumstances, there may be other one-off, periodic or ad hoc fees not listed above.

Of course, your LLC will also probably need to pay self-employment, payroll, federal, state and sales taxes. More information about taxes can be found on the Kansas Business Tax page.

FAQs About Kansas LLC Fees


What Happens to the State Fees I'm Charged When Forming My LLC?

We will charge you this fee at cost and then pay the fee to the Secretary of State on your behalf when forming your Kansas business.


Where Do I Get Business Licenses and Permits for My LLC?

It depends on various factors, including:

  • The type of business you run
  • Where your business is located
  • Governing bodies in your industry
  • Federal, state and local regulations

Many new businesses need a business license, and you may be required to obtain additional licenses and permits. Our Business License Research package can take the guesswork out of it for you and help you learn what your LLC needs to be compliant.

incorporate now

Launch your business with bizee

No Contracts. No Surprises. Only $0 + State Fee to Launch Your Business.