Skip to content

Vermont LLC Filing Requirements and Fees

You’ll be required to pay certain fees and fulfill several filing requirements, dependant on the specifics of your Vermont business.

Start Today for $0 + VT State Fee.

Starting an LLC in Vermont? Let Bizee do all the paperwork for you for free.

Enterprising Woman with technical skills

How Much Does It Cost to Start an LLC in Vermont?

Legal business registration — and keeping your business in good standing — involves some necessary expenses. Some of these costs are payable to the VT Secretary of State, while others are due to additional state entities or the federal government. Here are some common requirements and fees.

Please note that Vermont business license and permit fees may need to be paid when you first form your business, on an ongoing schedule, or on an ad hoc basis. Find more details below.

Initial Vermont LLC Fees

You’ll need to file as an LLC with the Secretary of State and pay a filing fee when you first incorporate your business. Here are the current Vermont LLC fees and filing times:

State Fee


State Filling Time

3 Weeks

Expedited Filing Time

2 Business Days

When you form through Bizee, we charge you this fee and forward it to the Vermont Secretary of State when we file your formation paperwork.

Bizee Can File Your Formation Paperwork for You for Free Just Pay the Required Vermont LLC Filing Fee

Form Your LLC Through Bizee Today

Vermont Doesn’t Offer a Rush Service, But You May Form Your LLC More Quickly by Filing Online With No Additional Fees

View Expedited Fees for Vermont

Employer Identification Number

Every LLC in the U.S. should obtain a unique Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service. You'll use it when you open a business bank account, file taxes, and pay employees. It's available at no cost from the IRS, or you can have Bizee get an EIN for you.

Foreign LLCs

When you want to do business in a state other than the one where your business is based, you must create a foreign LLC.

Vermont Foreign LLC Registration

Before you can bring an arm of your business from another state into Vermont, you must obtain a Certificate of Authority from the Office of the Secretary of State. This means the state gives you permission to conduct business there.

To request a Vermont Foreign LLC registration, you must complete an Application for Certificate of Authority and pay a processing fee of $125. The state may have additional requirements so contact the Vermont Secretary of State for more information.

Foreign Qualification to Operate in Another State

If you plan to expand your Vermont LLC into another state, you’ll first need Foreign Qualification or a Certificate of Authority from that state. This is necessary if you'll have a physical presence, employees, or banking in that state.

This process will likely entail completing an application and paying a filing fee, but each state has its own requirements. Contact the state government entity that administers business (usually the Secretary of State) for specific instructions.

If you need assistance, Bizee provides complete Foreign Qualification service for all states.

Annual Report Requirements

Most states — including Vermont — require businesses to file an annual (or other periodic) report with the Secretary of State. When you file your annual report, you’ll need to pay a fee of $35. Here are the Vermont annual report filing requirements:

Annual Report



Due Dates

Calendar Year: March 31

Finansal Year: Within 21/2 months after end of fiscal year.

Filing Fee


Bizee Can Also Complete and File Your Vermont Annual Report on Your Behalf

Bizee’s Annual Report Filing Service
Annual Report

Vermont Business License and Permit Requirements

It’s your responsibility to make sure you have the proper state, federal, or local business licenses to operate your business. Some of the associated fees only need to be paid once, while others are ongoing charges.

Permits and licenses vary based on:

  1. The type of business you run (e.g., healthcare providers must meet HIPAA requirements)
  2. The industry your LLC operates in (e.g., restaurants will need health permits)
  3. The location of your LLC (state, county or city) (e.g., a license to conduct business in San Antonio)

Running your business without the required licenses can expose you to risks and fines from federal, state, and local governments.

You can research these permits and licenses yourself, or use Bizee’s Business License Research package, which includes:

  • A complete report on all the licenses, permits, and tax registrations your LLC will need
  • The applications you'll need to file with the state, regional, and federal licensing authorities

Operating Agreements

The state of Vermont does not require you to have an LLC Operating Agreement in place.

An Operating Agreement is a document that covers how the business will be run, how managers and members are chosen, the rights and duties of members, and several other key areas. It's usually filed along with your Articles of Organization.

This document can be extremely helpful in making sure you’re organized and prepared for any future events that may affect your business.

Bizee Can Draft a General Operating Agreement Template When You Form Your Vermont Business.

You can make changes to the template based on your unique requirements.

Learn About Operating Agreements
Operating Agreement

Other Potential Vermont LLC Fees or Requirements

You may need to pay and meet several other fees and requirements during the life of your Vermont LLC. These ad hoc fees will only be payable in specific circumstances, as listed below.

Obtaining an Assumed Name or DBA

If you want to establish a Vermont DBA (assumed name), you must file a form with the Vermont Secretary of State. The assumed name filing fee is $50.

Bizee Can File Your Assumed Name or DBA Forms on Your Behalf

Bizee’s DBA Service
Changing the Registered Agent

Your LLC needs a Vermont Registered Agent, which must be appointed when you file your Articles of Organization. You can also switch to a new Registered Agent later at no cost by filing updates online with the Vermont Secretary of State Corporations Division.

Have Bizee Serve as Your Registered Agent.

It’s free for the first year if you form your LLC with us and $119 a year after.

Bizee's Registered Agent Service
Registered Agent
Reserving a Name for Your LLC

If you don’t want to form your LLC right away, you can reserve a business name for 120 days with the Vermont Secretary of State by filing online and paying a fee of $20. First, perform a Vermont business search and learn about business name rules to ensure you choose a name that meets state requirements.

Amending Facts About Your LLC

Your business formation documents state certain facts about your Vermont business when it was formed. Over time, these facts may change. If they do, you'll need to file Articles of Amendment with the Vermont Secretary of State for a filing fee of $25. You can do this yourself or have Bizee file it on your behalf.

You may want to file an Information Change form when you:

  • Add, remove or change an LLC member or manager
  • Alter the stated purpose and activities of your LLC
  • Change the business address of your LLC
Getting a Vermont Certificate of Good Standing

Some organizations will request that you prove that your Vermont LLC complies with laws and tax requirements. If you need to prove you have met your commitments, you’ll need a “Certificate of Good Standing or Status” from the Vermont Secretary of State. You can obtain one by filing a Request for Certificate and paying a fee of $25.

Bizee Can Obtain a Certificate of Good Standing on Your Behalf

Certificate of Good Standing Service
Certificate of Good Standing

The fees listed above detail many of the charges a standard LLC will be required to pay in Vermont. In some unusual circumstances, there may be other one-off, periodic, or ad hoc fees not listed above.

Of course, your LLC will also probably need to pay self-employment, payroll, federal, state, and sales taxes. More information about taxes can be found on the Vermont Business Tax page.

FAQs About Vermont LLC Fees


What Happens to the State Fees I'm Charged When Forming My LLC?

We charge you this fee at cost and then pay the fee to the Secretary of State on your behalf when forming your Vermont business.


Where Do I Get Business Licenses and Permits for My LLC?

It depends on various factors, including:

  • The type of business you run
  • Where your business is located
  • Governing bodies in your industry
  • Federal, state, and local regulations

Many new businesses need a business license, and you may be required to obtain additional licenses and permits. Our Business License Research package can take the guesswork out of it for you and help you learn what your LLC needs to be compliant.

incorporate now

Launch your business with bizee

No Contracts. No Surprises. Only $0 + State Fee to Launch Your Business.