What is a Registered Agent?
On this page
Your Wyoming Registered Agent provides various services, including the acceptance of formal documents and correspondence from the Wyoming Secretary of State (WY SOS).
Your LLC must have a Registered Agent at all times. You can appoint one when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing Wyoming LLC Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new agents.
Wyoming Registered Agent Requirements
- A Registered Agent can be a natural person or a domestic or foreign (licensed to transact business in this State) artificial legal entity (such as a Corporation, LLC, LP or LLP).
- Every domestic and foreign corporation is required to have a Registered Agent with a registered office within the State of Wyoming at all times.
- The Registered Office needs to be located at a street address (a P.O. Box alone isn’t acceptable) in Wyoming.
- If your Registered Agent is a person, they are required to reside in Wyoming.
- If the Registered Agent is a business, they are required to be able to conduct business in Wyoming.
- During normal business hours, the Registered Agent must be available in person to sign for any correspondence.
Note that the address for your Wyoming agent does not need to be the same as your Wyoming LLC business address.
What a Wyoming Registered Agent Does
The main function of a Registered Agent in Wyoming is to accept official documents and mail.
- Correspondence from the WY SOS
- Service of process notices (e.g., if your LLC is sued or if you’re required to appear in court)
- Official state and federal government notifications and correspondence
- Tax forms and requests to complete permits, company filings and reports
Bizee Provides Free Wyoming Registered Agent Services for the First Year
With Bizee, you’ll get complete Wyoming Registered Agent service for any LLC formed in the state. Even better, if you choose Bizee to start your Wyoming business, your Registered Agent is completely free for the first year and only $119 a year after that.
Bizee is authorized to conduct business in Wyoming and may legally act as your Registered Agent. Here’s what our Registered Agent services provide:
- A dashboard where you can digitally access, store and retrieve any information we’ve received for your business
- An always-available Wyoming Registered Agent who can receive correspondence, documents and legal proceedings on your LLC’s behalf
- Email notification whenever we receive documents for your business
- Automatic forwarding of all legal correspondence, documentation and information directly to you
Appointing a Registered Agent for Your LLC
When you first form your LLC, you must appoint a Registered Agent. You can change it at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Assign a Registered Agent When You Form Your LLC
As soon as you form your business, you’re required to have a Registered Agent. There are two ways to accomplish this:
File Articles of Organization with the WY SOS
You’re required to include details of your Registered Agent in your Articles of Organization when you file with the WY SOS.
Form Your LLC Through Bizee and Get a Free Registered Agent
Get a free year of our Registered Agent service when you form your business through us. Then we’ll complete and file your Articles of Organization for you.
Assign a Different Registered Agent After Formation
You are also allowed to modify your Wyoming Registered Agent after you've formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to do this
Choose a Registered Agent Service and File a Form with the WY SOS
Once you’ve chosen a new Registered Agent, you can complete the Change of an Entity’s Registered Agent and Office form that’s available on the WY SOS website. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the Secretary of State. There is no filing fee to update your information.
Sign Up for Bizee’s Wyoming Registered Agent Services and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf
We take care of all the form filling and filing for you when you choose our Wyoming Registered Agent services. We’ll collect important information about your business, complete the form on your behalf, then send it to the WY SOS. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.
Wyoming Registered Agent Search
A situation may arise where you want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another LLC in Wyoming. This information is available in the business database of the WY SOS.
If the Registered Agent isn’t available there, you can request it through the WY SOS.
What Happens If You Don’t Have a Registered Agent?
If you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the WY SOS, there may be several possible ramifications, including:
- Getting served or sued and not knowing about it. If your LLC is sued and you aren’t aware, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
- Losing your status as an LLC in Wyoming. A Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business entity protections and your Wyoming LLC may be dissolved.
- Falling out of good standing with the WY SOS. If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (such as a request for your annual report), certain states may revoke your right to do business.
Acting as Your Own Registered Agent
If you have an address in Wyoming, you are able to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Wyoming. If you’re forming an LLC outside the state, you’ll need to use a Registered Agent in Wyoming.
- You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Wyoming address to sign for important documents.
- The Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the WY SOS website. If you prefer your name and address aren’t published, you should choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you change your business address or move out of state, you need to file additional documentation with the WY SOS for the new address. This won't be the case if you use a Wyoming Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
Other Useful Resources
FAQs About Wyoming Registered Agent Service
Do I Need to Appoint a Wyoming Registered Agent?
Yes. All LLCs in Wyoming are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the WY SOS. You'll find more information above.
When Should I Assign a Wyoming Registered Agent?
You must assign a Registered Agent when you start your Wyoming business by filing paperwork with the WY SOS. You can modify your agent afterward by filing the correct form. If you form your business through Bizee, we’ll file all the necessary forms on your behalf. You'll find more information above.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in Wyoming?
Yes, although we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above.
Does the Registered Agent for my Wyoming-Based LLC Need to Have an Address in Wyoming?
Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state. You'll find more information above.