Skip to content

Hawaii LLC Filing Requirements and Fees

Depending on the specifics of your Hawaii business, you’ll be required to pay certain fees and fulfill several filing requirements.

Incorporate today for $0 + HI state fee.

Starting an LLC in Hawaii? Let Bizee do all the paperwork for you for free.

Enterprising Woman with technical skills

How Much Does It Cost to Start an LLC in Hawaii?

Legal business registration — and keeping your business in good standing — involves some necessary expenses. Some of these costs are payable to the HI Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, while others are due to additional state entities or the federal government. Here are some common requirements and fees.

Please note that Hawaii business license and permit fees may need to be paid when you first form your business, on an ongoing schedule or on an ad hoc basis. Find more details below.

Initial Hawaii LLC Fees

You’ll need to file as an LLC with the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Business Registration Division (BREG) and pay a filing fee when you first form your business. Here are the current Hawaii LLC fees and filing times:

State Fee


State Filling Time

3 Weeks

Expedited Filing Time

3 Business Days

*includes online processing fee

If you choose to have your LLC formed through Bizee, we charge you this fee and forward it to the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Business Registration Division (BREG) when we file your formation paperwork.

Bizee Can File Your Formation Paperwork for You for Free — Just Pay the Required Hawaii LLC Filing Fee

Form Your LLC Through Bizee Today

Hawaii Allows You to Form Your LLC More Quickly by Paying an Expedited Fee

View Expedited Fees for Hawaii

Employer Identification Number

Every LLC in the U.S. should obtain a unique Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service. You'll use it when you open a business bank account, file taxes and pay employees. It's available at no cost from the IRS, or Bizee can get an EIN for you.

Foreign LLCs

When you want to do business in a state other than the one where your business is based, you must create a foreign LLC.

Hawaii Foreign LLC Registration

Foreign companies are those which are formed in another state or country. In order to transact business in Hawaii these entities must register with the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Business Registration Division’s Office for Certificate of Authority.

The registration must be accompanied by a certificate of good standing or a certificate of existence from the domestic state of formation. Register your out-of-state foreign company online by using Hawaii’s Business Express portal. The filing fee for a Hawaii Foreign LLC is $50 and an additional $25 to get the filing expedited. The state may have additional requirements so contact the Hawaii DCCA, BREG for more information.

Foreign Qualification to Operate in Another State

If you plan to expand your Hawaii LLC into another state, you’ll first need Foreign Qualification or a Certificate of Authority from that state. This is necessary if you'll have a physical presence, employees or banking in that state.

This process will likely entail completing an application and paying a filing fee, but each state has its own requirements. Contact the state government entity that administers business (usually the Secretary of State) for specific instructions.

If you need assistance, Bizee provides complete Foreign Qualification service for all states.

Annual Report Requirements

Most states — including Hawaii — require businesses to file an annual (or other periodic) report with the Secretary of State. When you file your annual report, you’ll need to pay a fee of $15. Here are the Hawaii annual report filing requirements:

The Public Information Report is actually part of your franchise tax reporting. You'll find more information about the necessary Hawaii Secretary of State forms and reporting requirements in the Hawaii franchise tax section on the business taxes page of this guide.

Annual Report



Due Date

The annual report or annual statement due date is dependent on the registration date. If the registration falls between:

  • January 1 and March 31, the annual report or statement is due by March 31 of each year;
  • April 1 and June 30, the annual report or statement is due by June 30 of each year,
  • July 1 and September 30, the annual report or statement is due by September 30 of each year,
  • October 1 and December 31, the annual report or statement is due by December 31 of each year

Filing Fee


Filing Fee

There is no charge for the Public Information Report. The Franchise Tax Fee is based on the revenue of the LLC.

Bizee Can Also Complete and File Your Hawaii Annual Report on Your Behalf

Bizee’s Annual Report Filing Service
Annual Report

Hawaii Business License and Permit Requirements

It’s your responsibility to make sure you have the proper state, federal or local business licenses to operate your business. Some of the associated fees only need to be paid once, while others are ongoing charges.

Permits and licenses vary based on:

  1. The industry your LLC operates in (e.g., restaurants will need health permits)
  2. The location of your LLC (state, county or city) (e.g., a license to conduct business from the county of Maui)
  3. The type of business you run (e.g., healthcare providers must meet HIPAA requirements)

Running your business without the required licenses can expose you to risks and fines from federal, state and local governments.

You can research these permits and licenses yourself, or use Bizee’s Business License Research package, which includes:

  • A complete report on all the licenses, permits and tax registrations your LLC will need
  • The applications you'll need to file with the state, regional and federal licensing authorities

Operating Agreements

The state doesn't require you to have a Hawaii LLC Operating Agreement in place.

An Operating Agreement is usually filed along with your Articles of Organization. It is a document that covers how the business will be run, how managers and members are chosen, rights and duties of members and several other key areas.

This document can be extremely helpful in making sure you’re organized and prepared for any future events that may affect your business.

Bizee Can Draft a General Operating Agreement Template When You Form Your Hawaii Business, if You’re Interested.

You can make changes to the template based on your unique requirements.

Learn About Operating Agreements
Operating Agreement

Other Potential Hawaii LLC Fees or Requirements

You may need to pay and meet several other fees and requirements during the life of your Hawaii DBA. These ad hoc fees will only be payable in specific circumstances, as listed below.

Obtaining a Trade Name or DBA

If you want to establish a Hawaii DBA (trade name), you must register a trade name (DBA) with the Hawaii DCCA, BREG and pay a filing fee of $50.

Bizee Can File Your Trade Name or DBA Forms on Your Behalf

Bizee’s DBA Service

Changing the Registered Agent

Your LLC needs an Hawaii Registered Agent to be appointed when you file your Articles of Organization. You can also switch to a new Registered Agent later for a $25 fee by filing updates online with the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Business Registration Division (BREG).

Have Bizee Serve as Your Registered Agent.

It’s free for the first year if you form your LLC with us and $119 a year after.

Bizee's Registered Agent Service
Registered Agent

Reserving a Name for Your LLC

If you don’t want to form your LLC right away, you can reserve a business name for 120 days with the Hawaii DCCA, BREG, via Hawaii’s Business Express portal and pay a fee of $10. First, perform a Hawaii business search and learn about business name rules to ensure you choose a name that meets state requirements.

Amending Certain Facts About Your LLC

Your business formation documents state certain facts about your Hawaii business at the time it's formed. Over time, these facts may change. If they do, you'll need to file any amendments or corrections with the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Business Registration Division (BREG) for a filing fee of $25. You can do this yourself or have Bizee file it on your behalf.

You may want to file an information Change from when you:

  • Add, remove or change an LLC member or manager
  • Alter the stated business activities of your LLC
  • Change the business address of your LLC

Getting a Hawaii Certificate of Good Standing

Some organizations will request that you prove your LLC’s compliance with laws and tax requirements. If you need to prove you have met your commitments, you’ll need a Certificate of Good Standing or Certificate of Existence from the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, BREG. You can obtain one by ordering a Good Standing Certificate (Certificate of Compliance) from the HI DCCA, BREG, and paying a fee of $5.

Bizee Can Obtain a Delaware Certificate of Existence (or Good Standing) on Your Behalf

Certificate of Good Standing Service
Certificate of Good Standing

The fees listed above detail many of the charges a standard LLC will be required to pay in Hawaii. In some unusual circumstances, there may be other one-off, periodic or ad hoc fees not listed above.

Of course, your LLC will also probably need to pay self-employment, payroll, federal, state and sales taxes. More information about taxes can be found on the Hawaii Business Tax page.

FAQs About Hawaii LLC Fees


What Happens to the State Fees I'm Charged When Forming My LLC?

Bizee will charge you this fee at cost and then pay the fee to the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs on your behalf when forming your Hawaii business.


Where Do I Get Business Licenses and Permits for My LLC?

It depends on various factors, including:

  • The type of business you run
  • Where your business is located
  • Governing bodies in your industry
  • Federal, state and local regulations

  • Many new businesses need a business license, and you may be required to obtain additional licenses and permits. Our Business License Research package can take the guesswork out of it for you and help you learn what your LLC needs to be compliant.

incorporate now

Launch your business with bizee

No Contracts. No Surprises. Only $0 + State Fee to Launch Your Business.