Skip to content

Indiana LLC Filing Requirements and Fees

As a business owner, you’ll be required to pay certain fees and fulfill several filing requirements, depending on the specifics of your Indiana LLC.

Incorporate today for $0 + IN state fee.

Starting an LLC in Indiana? Let Bizee do all the paperwork for you for free.

Enterprising Woman with technical skills

How Much Does It Cost to Start an LLC in Indiana?

Legal business registration — and making sure your business is in good standing — involves some necessary expenses. Some of these costs are payable to the IN Secretary of State, Business Services Division, while others are due to additional state entities or the federal government. Here are some of the most common requirements and fees.

Please note that Indiana business license and permit fees may need to be paid when you first form your business, on an ongoing schedule or on an ad hoc basis. Find more details below.

Initial Indiana LLC Fees

You’ll need to file as an LLC with the Secretary of State, Business Services Division and pay a filing fee when you first formally form your business. Here are the current Indiana LLC fees and filing times:

State Fee


State Filling Time

3 Weeks

Expedited Filing Time

1 Business Day

When you have your business formed through Bizee, we charge you this fee and forward it to the Indiana Secretary of State when we file your formation paperwork.

Bizee Can File Your Formation Paperwork for You for Free — Just Pay the Required Indiana LLC Filing Fee

Form Your LLC Through Bizee Today
Business Formation

Indiana Allows You to Form Your LLC More Quickly by Paying an Expedited Fee

View Expedited Fees for Indiana

Employer Identification Number

Every LLC in the U.S. should obtain a unique Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service. You'll use it when you open a business bank account, file taxes and pay employees. It's available at no cost from the IRS or have Bizee obtain one for you.

Get an EIN for Your LLC Through Bizee
Foreign LLCs

When you want to do business in a state other than the one where your business is based, you must create a foreign LLC.

Indiana Foreign LLC Registration

Foreign companies are those that are formed in another state or country. In order to transact business in Indiana, these entities must apply to request a Certificate of Authority from the Indiana Secretary of State's Office.

The registration must be accompanied by a Certificate of Good Standing or a Certificate of Existence from the domestic state of formation. Register your out-of-state foreign company online by filling out and filing a form with the Secretary of State, Business Services Division. The filing fee for an Indiana Foreign LLC is $125. The state may have additional requirements, so contact the Indiana Secretary of State for more information.

Foreign Qualification to Operate in Another State

If you plan to expand your Indiana LLC into another state, you’ll first need Foreign Qualification or a Certificate of Authority from that state. This is necessary if you'll have a physical presence, employees or banking in that state.

You'll likely have to complete at least one application and pay a filing fee, but each state has its own requirements. Before you start the process, compare state filing times and state filing fees so you can plan accordingly.

This process will likely require you to complete an application and pay a filing fee; however, each state has its own requirements. Contact the state government entity that administers business (usually the Secretary of State) for specific instructions.

If you need assistance, Bizee provides complete Foreign Qualification service for all states.

Get Foreign Qualification or a Certificate of Authority Through Bizee
Annual Report Requirements

Most states — including Indiana — require businesses to file an annual (or other periodic) report with the Secretary of State. There is no Indiana annual report. Instead, the state requires businesses to file a business entity report biennially (every other year). When you file your business entity report, you’ll need to pay a fee of $50. Here are the Indiana biennial report filing requirements:

Annual Report



Due Date

Every other year in the anniversary month of the business forming.

Filing Fee


Bizee Can Also Complete and File Your Indiana Business Entity Report on Your Behalf

Bizee’s Annual Report Filing Service
Annual Report
Indiana Business License and Permit Requirements

As a business owner, it’s your responsibility to make sure you have the proper state, federal or local business licenses to operate your Indiana LLC. Some of the associated fees only need to be paid once, while others are ongoing charges.

Permits and licenses vary based on:
  1. The industry your LLC operates in (e.g., restaurants will need health permits)
  2. The location of your LLC (state, county or city) (e.g., a license to conduct business from the county of Indianapolis)
  3. The type of business you run (e.g., healthcare providers must meet HIPAA requirements)

Running your business without the required licenses may expose you to risks and fines from federal, state and local governments.

You can research these permits and licenses yourself, or use Bizee’s Business License Research package, which includes:

  • A complete report on all the licenses, permits and tax registrations your LLC will need
  • The applications you'll need to file with the state, regional and federal licensing authorities
Get Bizee’s Business License Research Package

Operating Agreements

The State of Indiana doesn't require you to have an LLC Operating Agreement in place.

An Operating Agreement is a document that covers how the business will be run, how managers and members are chosen, rights and duties of members and several other key areas. It's usually filed with your Articles of Organization at the time of formal formation.

This document can be extremely helpful in making sure you’re organized and prepared for any future events that may affect your business.

Bizee Can Draft a General Operating Agreement Template When You Form Your Indiana Business.

You can make changes to the template based on your unique requirements.

Learn About Operating Agreements
Operating Agreement

Other Potential Indiana LLC Fees or Requirements

It is normal for your business to pay and meet several other fees and requirements during the life of your LLC. These ad hoc fees will only be payable in specific circumstances, as listed below.

Obtaining an Assumed Name or DBA

If you want to establish an Indiana DBA (assumed name), you must register it with the IN Secretary of State, Business Services Division and pay a filing fee of $30.

Bizee Can File Your Trade Name or DBA Forms on Your Behalf

Bizee’s DBA Service
Changing the Registered Agent

Your LLC needs an Indiana Registered Agent, which you must appoint when you file your Articles of Organization. You can also switch to a new Registered Agent later for no additional fee by filing updates online with the Indiana Secretary of State, Business Services Division.

Have Bizee Serve as Your Registered Agent.

It’s free for the first year if you form your LLC with us and $119 the year after.

Bizee's Registered Agent Service
Registered Agent
Reserving a Name for Your LLC

If you don’t want to form your LLC right away, you can reserve a business name for 120 days by filing with the Indiana Secretary of State by filing a form and paying a fee of $20. First, perform an Indiana business search and learn about business name rules to ensure you choose a name that meets state requirements.

Amending Certain Facts About Your LLC

Your business formation documents state certain facts about your Indiana business at the time it's formed. Over time, these facts may change. If they do, you'll need to file any amendments or corrections with the Indiana Secretary of State for a filing fee of $30. You can do this yourself or have Bizee file the Articles of Correction on your behalf.

You may want to file an Article of Amendment when you:
  • Alter the stated business activities of your LLC
  • Add, remove or change a LLC member or manager
  • Change the business address of your LLC
Bizee’s Amendment Filing Service
Getting an Indiana Certificate of Good Standing

Some organizations will request that you prove your LLC’s compliance with laws and tax requirements. If you need to prove you have met your commitments, you’ll need a Certificate of Good Standing or Certificate of Existence from the Indiana Secretary of State, Business Services Division. You can obtain one by ordering a Certificate of Existence from the IN SOS, and paying a fee of $15 ($20 if you order online).

Bizee Can Obtain a Certificate of Good Standing on Your Behalf

Certificate of Good Standing Service
Certificate of Good Standing

The fees listed above detail many of the charges a standard LLC will be required to pay in Indiana. In some unusual circumstances, there may be other one-off, periodic or ad hoc fees not listed above.

Of course, your LLC will also probably need to pay self-employment, payroll, federal, state and sales taxes. More information about taxes can be found on the Indiana Business Tax page.

FAQs About Indiana LLC

What Happens to the State Fees I'm Charged When Forming My LLC?

We will charge you this fee at cost and then pay the fee to the Secretary of State on your behalf when forming your Indiana business.


Where Do I Get Business Licenses and Permits for My LLC?

It depends on various factors, including:

  • The type of business you run
  • Where your business is located
  • Governing organizations in your industry
  • Federal, state and local regulations

Many new businesses need a business license, and you may be required to obtain additional licenses and permits. Our Business License Research package can take the guesswork out of it for you and help you learn how to keep your LLC compliant.

incorporate now

Launch your business with bizee

No Contracts. No Surprises. Only $0 + State Fee to Launch Your Business.