What is a Registered Agent?
On this page
Your Oklahoma Registered Agent accepts formal documents and correspondence from the Oklahoma Secretary of State (OK SOS) and other governmental bodies.
Your LLC must have a Registered Agent at all times. You must appoint one when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing Oklahoma Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new agents.
Oklahoma Registered Agent Requirements
- Every domestic and foreign LLC must, at all times, maintain a Registered Agent with a registered office within the State of Oklahoma.
- The Registered Agent can be either a natural person or a domestic or foreign (licensed to transact business in the state) artificial legal entity (Corporation, LLC, LP, or LLP).
- The registered office must be located at a street address (a P.O. Box is not acceptable) within the State of Oklahoma
- If the Registered Agent is a company, it must be permitted to conduct business in Oklahoma.
- If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in Oklahoma.
- The Registered Agent must always be available to sign for any correspondence during normal business hours.
Note that the OK Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your Oklahoma LLC business address.
What an Oklahoma Registered Agent Does
A Registered Agent’s main function is to accept official documents and correspondence.
- Official state and federal government correspondence and notifications
- Communication from the OK SOS
- Correspondence from the TX SOS
- Service of process notices (e.g., if your LLC is sued or required to appear in court)
- Tax forms and requests to complete permits, company filings, and other reports
Bizee Provides Free Oklahoma Registered Agent Service for the First Year
Bizee provides complete Oklahoma Registered Agent service for any LLC that’s formed in the state. Even better, if you form your business through Bizee, your Registered Agent is completely free for the first year and only $119 a year after that.
Bizee is authorized to conduct business in Oklahoma and can legally act as your Registered Agent. Here’s what our Registered Agent service provides:
- An always-available Oklahoma Registered Agent who can receive correspondence, documents, and legal proceedings on your LLC’s behalf
- A dashboard where you can easily access, store, and retrieve any information we’ve received for your business online
- Email notifications if we receive documents for your business
- Automatic forwarding of all legal correspondence, documentation, and information
Appointing a Registered Agent Service for Your LLC
You must appoint a Registered Agent when you first form your LLC. You're allowed to change it at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Assign a Registered Agent When You Form Your LLC
Your business is required to have a Registered Agent as soon as it’s formed. You can do this in two ways:
File Articles of Organization With the OK SOS
Include details of your Registered Agent in your Articles of Organization when you formally create your business.
File With Bizee and Secure a Free Registered Agent
When you form your LLC through us, we’ll give you a free year of our Registered Agent service. Then we’ll use the information you provide to complete and file your Articles of Organization.
Assign a Different Registered Agent After Formation
You're also allowed to change your Oklahoma Registered Agent after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to do this.
File a Form With the OK SOS After You Choose a New Registered Agent
Once you’ve decided on a new Registered Agent, you can complete the Change of Registered Office form available on the OK SOS website. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the Secretary of State with a payment of $25. Then they'll update your records.
Choose Bizee’s Registered Agent Service and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf
When you use our Oklahoma Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business, complete the form on your behalf and then send it to the OK SOS. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.
Oklahoma Registered Agent Search
In some situations, you may want to inquire about the Registered Agent that represents another company in Oklahoma. This information is available in the state's business database.
If the Registered Agent’s information isn’t available, you can request it through the Secretary of State.
What Happens If You Don’t Have a Registered Agent?
If you don’t assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the Secretary of State, there could be ramifications, including:
- Losing your status as an LLC in Oklahoma: A Registered Agent proves to the state that your business exists. If you don’t have one, you could lose your business entity protections and your LLC could be dissolved.
- Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t respond, you could lose a default judgment.
- Falling out of good standing with the OK SOS: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (such as the request for your annual certificate) in a timely way, the state may revoke your right to do business.
Acting as Your Own Registered Agent
If you have an address in Oklahoma, you can be the Registered Agent for your LLC. This approach isn’t one we recommend because of a few drawbacks:
- The Registered Agent needs to have a physical street address in Oklahoma, so if your LLC is outside the state, you’ll need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
- You always need to have someone present during business hours at the Oklahoma address to sign for important documents.
- The Registered Agent’s name and address are on the public record and therefore available on the Secretary of State's website. If you prefer your name and address are kept private, you should choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you move, you need to file additional documentation with the OK SOS for the new address. This won't be necessary if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
Other Useful Resources
FAQs About Oklahoma Registered Agents
Do I Need to Appoint an Oklahoma Registered Agent?
Yes. All business entities in the state are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the OK SOS. You'll find more information above.
When Should I Assign an Oklahoma Registered Agent?
You must assign a Registered Agent when you establish your Oklahoma business with the Secretary of State. You can change your agent afterward by filing the correct form. If you form your business through Bizee, we’ll file all the necessary forms on your behalf. You'll find more information above.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in Oklahoma?
Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above.
Does the Registered Agent for My Oklahoma-Based LLC Need to Have an Address in Oklahoma?
Yes. And if you use a company as your Registered Agent, that company must be legally able to conduct business in your state. You'll find more information above.