On this page
Naming Your Business
Whether you’re searching for the right Nebraska business name or registering your LLC with the Nebraska Secretary of State (SOS), we can help. We’ve got all the information you need on how to conduct a Nebraska LLC search, plus business naming rules, assumed names and trademarks.
General Rules for LLC Names
These rules typically apply to all LLCs, regardless of which state they're formed in.
Your LLC Name Must Be Unique
The business name you select cannot be in use by any other corporation or LLC in the state. This is why it's so important to perform a Nebraska Secretary of State business search before you begin your formation paperwork.
Your LLC Name Must Not Be Confusable with Another Business Name
It’s not enough for your LLC name to be unique. It also cannot be similar to the name of another LLC or corporation in the state. In addition, you cannot use any of the following features in an attempt to differentiate your business name from that of another business:
- Suffixes, such as Corporation, Company, Incorporated, Incorporation, Limited, Corp., Co., Inc., Ltd., LLC, etc.
- Articles, such as “A,” “An,” or “The”
- The conjunction "And," or “&"
- The singular, plural or possessive forms of words
- Abbreviations, punctuation, symbols, fonts, typefaces, etc.
Your LLC Name Must Contain Certain Words
All LLCs must use one of the following in their names, usually at the end of the name: “Limited Liability Company,” “L.L.C.” or “LLC.”
Your LLC Name May Be Subject to Other General Restrictions
Most states will not allow you to form LLCs with names
- Are very similar to the name of a federal or state agency or organization (e.g., FBI, FDA, Nebraska Comptroller, Nebraska Police, Treasury, etc.)
- Suggest affiliation with a federal or state agency or organization
- Use the term “Olympic” or any terms that are trademarks of the International Olympic Committee
- Imply a purpose that would be illegal for your business to carry out
Specific Rules for Nebraska Business Names
In addition to the general rules listed above, Nebraska LLC laws that apply to naming your business. For example:
A limited liability company may apply to the Secretary of State for authorization to use a name that is deceptively similar to, upon the records of the Secretary of State, one or more of the names described in subsection (b) of this section. The Secretary of State shall authorize use of the name applied for if, as to each noncomplying name:
- the present user, registrant, or owner of the noncomplying name consents in a signed record to the use; or
- the applicant delivers to the Secretary of State a certified copy of the final judgment of a court establishing the applicant's right to use in this state the name applied for.
Coming Up with the Ideal Business Name
The perfect business name can be elusive. We have a complete guide to choosing the right business name, but essentially, you'll want to choose a name that will:
- Appeal to your customers
- Be memorable enough to stand out
- Best represent your product or services
- Not be used by another business
Need help coming up with business name ideas? Try our free name generator.
Nebraska Business Entity Search
Once you have an idea of the name you want, you’ll need to perform a Nebraska business search to make sure another company isn't already using that name.
You can use Nebraska SOSDirect, the state's online portal, to perform a name search.
You can also use our simple and convenient Business Name Search tool, which will search the Nebraska business registry for you.
Use Bizee’s free tool to find out whether your preferred name is available for your LLC in NebraskaCheck Your LLC Name
Trademarks and Service Marks
You must be careful that your Nebraska LLC name doesn't infringe on the trademark or service mark of another business. The easiest way to ensure you're not infringing is to perform a trademark search through Bizee. If the trademark isn't already in use, you can even register it yourself.
Make Sure Your Business is Starting Off on the Right Foot When It Comes to Intellectual Property.
Let Bizee run a trademark search for you.Bizee’s Trademark and Registration Service
Nebraska DBA or Assumed Name
You may do business under a name different from your LLC's legal name. While many states refer to this as an assumed name, fictitious name or "doing business as" (DBA), Nebraska calls it a trade name. You may decide to use a Nebraska trade name for a variety of reasons.
For example, your primary business may be called Nebraska Commercial Construction Holding Company, LLC, and you want to trade as Agricultural Barns and Storage. You could register an assumed name just for that brand. You'd do that with the Application for Registration of Trade Name, or you can have Bizee do it on your behalf through our DBA service.
Note: A trade name is not the same as a trademark. Learn more about trademark vs. DBA.
Register Your Business Name with the Nebraska SOS
You’ve performed a Nebraska Secretary of State business search, checked availability, followed the naming rules and determined whether you need a trade name. Now you can register your LLC name in one of two ways.
- If you don’t want to form your LLC right away, you can reserve the business name. You'll do this by completing an Application for Reservation of Limited Liability Company Name form and filing it with the Nebraska SOS. The name will be reserved for 120 days. If you're starting your business right away, you don't need to reserve a name.
- If you’re ready to start your LLC, you can indicate your chosen business name when you file your Certificate of Organization with the Nebraska SOS. Or you can have Bizee do this for you.
Bizee Can Handle All Your Formation Paperwork With the State of Nebraska for You — and We’ll Do It for Free!
Form your LLC in Nebraska for $0 + State Fee ($109)Start Your LLC Now
FAQs About Naming Your LLC in Nebraska
How Do I Search for My Nebraska Business Name?
Are There Any Rules for Naming My LLC in Nebraska?
Yes. Most LLCs will be bound by general rules (applicable to all LLCs) and specific rules (applicable in the State of Nebraska). We’ve detailed these rules above.
Can I Do Business Under a Different Name Than My LLC Name?
Yes. You can conduct business under a trade name. Details are above.
Can I Reserve a Name for My LLC in Nebraska?
Yes. The Nebraska SOS allows you to reserve a name if you aren’t ready to start your business immediately. Details are above. If you’re ready to start your business, you don’t need to reserve a name.